Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can anyone give advise on my Weimaraner?

My dog has been diagnosed with IBS and up to a week ago was managing well on a hypoallergenic diet. Over the last week he has developed diarrhoea and I am wondering if anyone has any advise on the best course of action. I don't really want to take him to the vets because they will put him on a very strong course of medication which closes down his immune system, but in doing this causes horrible side effects. He is 2 years old and has had a pretty crap life medical wise. He always enjoys walking and is very affectionate, if you didn't see the diarrhoea you wouldn't think anything was wrong.
Answers:
I would advise you to go to this site> http://www.naturalrearing.com/how_to_con.
and write to Marina Zacharias..she is an holistic practitioner and is quick to answer emails, with the very vest of advice..She may not be able to ship to your country, but she can tell what you need and where you might find it..There have been great strides made using Omega3 fatty acids for IBS and other allergy driven conditions..Plus a number of holistic therapies that are so much safer then traditional medications..I asked her permission to post her information here, and she said she would be happy to help any dogs that she can..Consults are free, and invaluable.. she has helped me and my dogs many times..
Your veterinarian will know what to do much better than a bunch of random people on PetQnA.com . You should take him to the vet and just tell the vet your concerns about his immune system. He probably has an infection of somesort. Anyhow, make sure that he keeps eating and his activity levels stay up. If he begins to be less active, you should take him to the vet right away because he may have something very serious.
I had a weimeriner! Let me give u a personal experience. when my dog was 3, (which we ironically named BROWNIE) he was hit by a car! His heart got inflated he broke 3 ribs and punctured an organ. well, I took him to the pet ER and they operated and got him started on medication which i didn't think was the best thing to do at the time. Well, $3,000 later, *gasp, choke* My dog got all better and sure, the medication did drop his immune system and he also lost his appetite. But 3 months later he gained all his weight back and he lived a long full of love life. Unfortunetly he passed away 6 months ago. But he lived until he was 13! He was a great dog! Weimeriners have such a great personality. Do what's best for ur dog, if he withstands the medication than he's a fighter, if you think he wont make it. sorry to say this but put him to sleep. Don't think about the money or urself. think about ur dog. Good luck
IBS will respond to aloe vera juice which will sooth the bowels. as far as the diarear,you might want to try well cooked chopmeat with all grease drained off mixed with rice. the dog still needs nutrition and the rice will help tighten his bowels..a chicken bouilion cube will entice him to eat and will add salt to his diet.pour dissolved cube with a little water over rice and meat..Give it a try..
The holistic person Chetco has recommed would be a great place to get info and help.
Weims have a lot of problems with allergies and digestive upset.
Stress can be had on them. IBS is a very tough balancing act. Anything can set them off. I agree with not wanting to go with the heavy meds unless you have to.
If it were me I would try to find someone who handles holistic or homeopathic treatments and see if you cna find something to help that way.
I have two Weims both are very healthy and I know how lucky I am.
Check out www.PetAlive.com
I use a UTI free remedy on my cat and it works wonders for her. They carry many items for humans and pets and they may have something to help.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever my Weim has a bad stomach, I cook hamburg and rice for him. I sautee the beef in a skillet (get the best meat...less oil and drainage) and boiled the rice. I give this to him for about a week, and not only does his sensitive stomach get better, he is so anxious to eat and the combination seems to settle all his digestive problems. He is 8, and I have to do this maybe one or two times a year. It is a cheap alternative, and he loves it. I cook a few pounds of hamburg and rice, and give him a little at a time, 3-4 times a day to ensure his stomach will tolerate it, then I move to his regular routine of feeding once a day.

    Good Luck!! He'll love you for it, and you will love to feed it to him!!

    ReplyDelete