Sunday, August 2, 2009

Can an older person handle a labrador retriever?

I'm friends with this older lady (65, good health, needs to lose a little weight) %26 I'm thinking of getting her a lab from the shelter. It would give her a chance to walk every day (for her health) w/o an excuse. But I'm wondering if a lab may be too high energy or hard to maintain for an older person? She could def. take it for 1/2 hour walk once or twice a day, but she also spends a lot of time on the couch (do labs like to sit on the couch at all?)
Answers:
My first question would be, does your friend want a dog at all? My second would be, shouldn鈥檛 she be the one that goes to the shelter to pick the dog? It is important for a dog and its owner to feel a connection and the best way to do this is to meet the dog before you bring it home.


Labrador Retrievers can make good pets for any age person鈥攁 lot depends on the person and the dog. I have known many Labrador Retrievers that are very calm and obedient once they reached about three years of age. Young labs need to spend a lot of energy and would probably be a bad choice for someone with limited space. Labs are very intelligent and were originally bred as hunting dogs that sat at their master鈥檚 feet near the fire after a long day of hunting. They are great water dogs and love to swim. They are fearless and yet very gentle. I have never heard of a lab attacking a person.

Talk to your friend about it before you do anything鈥?Good luck
why dont you adopt and OLDER dog for her, it will already be trained and mellow, and it will save that poor animal from being killed, I think its something to consider
before i gave someone a dog i would talk to them and make sure they want the responsibilty of owning a pet. age should make no difference
That all depends on the dog, but it will be a great idea if she would go for a walk with the dog even if it is just around the block.
If the dog is properly trained and obedient any dog would be fine. They use labs as guide dogs for the blind. Spending time on the couch would be ok as long as it gets in some exercise throughout the day.
why dont you adopt and OLDER dog for her
Labs are a working dog and want to be doing that when they are young. Sitting around all day doing nothing is not a happy life for them. Get her a lap dog.
They are the gentler of large dog breeds and protective
It's a very nice gesture on your part, but why not you and her go for a walk every day then bring up the subject of getting her a dog.
Get Her an older lab. Puppies have a lot of energy. My lab is getting old. He just lays around all day. He doesn't even bark anymore but every once in a while. But make sure she wants a dog first!
depends on what breed of lab you get her.. English female is a good choice. Abby is and short legged english lab she has always been calm. Lays around like a big puddle. Uplanders are long legged labs that are mostly used for hunting this is a bad choice. From a shelter u would be able to tell or from a lab rescue they would have more knowledge and could lead you to the right dog for you.
Labs are a high energy dog,they require lots of exercise,and attention to keep them from becoming bored,and destructive.(usually chewing)As in any breed there are exceptions to this,but as a rule of thumb,thats what Labs are like.
If labs aren't trained properly they can be extremely high energy and definitely won't like sitting around. Either check into an already trained dog or pick a smaller one. No matter what the size of the dog she can still take it for walks everyday. But the most important thing you need to do is talk to this woman and find out her opinion on the matter or else the dog could end up as a stray or back at the animal shelter.
Read Skydogs answer first - Labs are used by disabled people as helper/companion dogs IF THEY ARE PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED. My parents are in their 80's and have a wonderfully calm male lab puppy. BUT they need attention and need to 'work' everyday. Labs are like other purebreds and will test their masters to see what they can get away with, but otherwise, they can be perfect. Please make sure you get a purebred Lab, if possible, from the shelter. Again, make sure she wants a dog.
A lab wouldn't be my first choice for an elderly person, and especially not a lab pup.Does she even want a dog?
If so, maybe she would be happy with something small, every dog needs exercise, so she can walk a small, more mellow dog, probably a shih-tzu, they make wonderful companions.
I think a lab would be alittle bit too high risk of a dog for her. Unless he was trained really well. I would go for a smaller shih tzu or lhasa apso. Maybe even a poodle of some sort. Those small dogs will provide her with exercise without ripping her arms off if the dog pulls. Labs aren't good couch dogs for older ladies. Definitly go for a smaller breed like mentioned. But make sure she wants a dog before you get her one. Take her with you to pick out the pooch, so she can have exactly what she likes.
I think an lab would be a perfect dog for someone older.
I think you should find out if this lady has ever owned a large dog before. Also, is she financially able to support a large dog's food requirements, vet care etc etc. Does her yard have a high fence? Most labs are excellent jumpers and go right over a 4ft fence. I think your idea is excellent, however, you need to discuss this with her before proceeding.

Issy
Don't assume because a person is older they can't handle a high energy dog. There are a lot of factors to consider here. It depends on the person, whether they want a dog in the first place, and what shape they are in. Also whether the dog is trained or not. I have a 110lb Lab.that goes for 3 or 4 mile walks with me several times a week, and swimming when it is possible. I am 300ft.back from the road, and the dog has free run of the property, and never goes to the road unless I am with him. I am 70yrs old, work out on a bow flex twice a week, split wood by hand for my wood stove. Cut my lawn with a walk behind mower, and try to use my Nordic Track on days I don't go for walks. This lady you are talking about, could probably handle a Lab. If it was trained for her, but I see ladies walking small dogs on leashes now and then when I go for walks with my dog. I walk on a dirt road which is sparsely traveled by cars, so I leave him free to chase a stick that I throw for him as I walk along. When a car does come, he is trained to stop where ever he is in the woods , or walk over and sit beside me until the car goes by, and I tell him to move. Hope this helps you decide !
I'm 52 with a permanently damaged right shoulder (sports) and 98 lbs. I boss my 115 lb Kuvasz around all the time. he says "yes mam!" and does exactly as he ought.


One of our kennel club members is 70 and competes her labs in upper- level AKC obedience and field trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment