Thursday, July 30, 2009

Best things to find a home for a stray dog?

We've had a stray for a week and still waiting for an owner to call. I am preparing for the possiblity that no one will claim her. I will not be taking this sweet dog to the shelter as I would rather keep her here with us until a suitable home can be found. A local rescue has given me an interview form to do with potential adoptive family to be sure I can place her in a good home. I will have her spayed and brought up to date on all shots. We have a local organization that sterilizes very inexpensively ($60 less than our vet) and does so for these types of cases. I would like to get as much of this cost back as possible from the prospective adoptive party, tho willing to take a loss to see her placed.

Is it wrong to ask an "adoption fee" to help cover the vet bills if I am not a proper rescue group? Is there a better/more proper way to word it? I will not let her go for free as I feel that if someone can't pay something to take a dog in, they may not be able to afford proper care.
Answers:
If you are having the dog spayed/nuetered prior to adopting it out, I don't think it would be tacky to ask for that money back, if you have fronted it out. A better way, if money is an issue, is to ask for that money when they adopt the dog, and when THEY get the dog spayed/nuetered, to show you the slip and you will refund that fee back to them. I have encountered some breeders who charge X amount, and when you send or give them a copy of the spay/nueter report, they send back the agreed upon portion (usually set upfront). If you know a certain vet does it for X amount, you can specify that amount, if they pay more for their own vet, well, you'll still only have to give back the amount agreed to upfront. Thats one way. Now if you have it done for them, well, whats wrong with asking them to reimberse that, as part of doggie ownership? As to paying versus not paying, well, I guess its kinda a catch 22, I think one who really cares about a dog, should be able to cover basic doggie care or not have a pet. Too many people get pets and don't have the maturity that goes along with caring for them, or the sense to take them for basic vet care visits, shots and etc. We see them on here all the time, asking stupid questions, like "My dog has been throwing up for 2 weeks, do you think she has worms? Can I give her something CHEAP to make her stop, or should I take her to the shelter?". You are doing what you can to secure a good home for this little stray and I commend you for making a decent effort to make sure the people who get the dog are worthy. I think that deserves a gold star! Good luck with your adoptee!
Adoption fees are normal, and i would cover your expenses. I agree with your concerns about placing her for free. Sounds like youre doing this the right way. Did you notify your local shelters/animal control in case the owners contacted them?
No, it is not wrong.
I agree, if someone won't pay an adoption fee, to cover the costs you have incurred to make sure they have a happy, healthy pet, then they probably wont or cant afford to take proper care of it as needed.
I think this is fine, and give them the list of all you have done for the dog@!
I have rescued many, many dogs over the years. I usually end up eating the costs. I have incurred as much as $125 on a dog only to give it to the appropriate loving, family. Some of them I had spayed/neutered, some I did not. It all depended on how much money I had already invested in their care. I have taken several dogs from the brink of death to the peak of health. That is my reward for doing what I do. We usually take in between 2-5 stray dogs a year.
Absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a fee to cover at least some of your expenses. As you say, it also ensures that the people who take the dog are serious. Like it or not, people tend to equate cost with value. If the dog costs them nothing, they don't place as much value on it. A fee keeps away people looking for cheap dog-training bait or trying to make a buck by selling the dog for research, too.

If you do feel terribly guilty about taking money, here are two things you can do:

- donate a portion of the adoption fee to the shelter.

- tell the new family that you will return half of the adoption fee to them after 3 months (or 6 months) provided they still have the dog. Again, enforces that this family has a committment to the dog and guarantees that you can do follow up checks.

No comments:

Post a Comment