Thursday, July 30, 2009

Border Collie?

I bought a 13 month old border collie from a breeder, but he was neglected for a year. He is very skittish and afraid of most normal things and noises, any suggestions on how to help him. I have had him for over 2 weeks, he knows me and is very good outside off the leash, but inside he cowers and hids under the bed. Should I be more patient or something special I should be doing.
Answers:
I'm a firm believer that a little 'scientific neglect' goes a LONG way in these situations. That's especially useful with this particular breed.

Here's what I mean by that:


I have a Border Collie rescue who came to me (after going through 3 very knowledgeable rescue homes) for euthanasia due to extremely severe fear-biting and other behavioral issues.

I don't do 'euthanasias of convenience'..but this one seemed justified, as they had legitimately made a concerted effort with her, and couldn't get anywhere. She was not placeable in a home/family situation. In a weak moment, however..I decided to give her one last chance myself. I made no promises that we might not be right back up there in the same situation if it didn't work out. They were in tears about having to put her down, so they jumped at the chance I offered. I didn't have a clue whether I would be able to make any headway..but with their permission, I took her home to my acreage in the country, showed her the food bowls and dog houses, and told her she was welcome to stay as long as she didn't cause any trouble. (She was also known to be a garbage fiend.) Otherwise..*slashing motion across neck*. I made it clear that this was her LAST chance. She was petrified (not because of what I said.LOL.she was just a very fearful dog.) I didn't do anything special, I just practiced a little something that we call 'benign scientific neglect.'

I made sure she had plenty of food available on the front porch, and would only nod in her direction to acknowledge her when she stood in the woods and looked at me from afar as I drove into my driveway and got out of my car. It took about a month of that, then she started coming to me on her own. Now, we're the best of friends. Neighbors later told me she almost never left my porch when I wasn't home during that time, and would merely bark at them as they walked past. (It's a rural dead-end road, and the few of us who live out here like to walk.) She has turned into a great natural guard dog. Now, almost 3 years later, she can be around anyone without making any motion to bite..astounding progress considering how extreme of a fear-biter she came to me as. She is still a tad tentative with strangers and shows her belly in submission, but is very friendly. She loves the kids who live out here, and they love her. When I left her at my clinic to go on vacation, I warned everyone that she might revert to old behavior and to be cautious..but they said she was a model boarder. :-)

Living out here like this, she has plenty of critters to 'round up' as Border Collies are so wont to do. (You put 3 or more of anything in relatively close proximity, and they are GOING to gather them up for you. LOL. They'll often even round up children who are out playing in the yard.)

They are a very special breed with unique 'way of thinking' quirks that many people don't understand. I can't recommend the book "Nop's Trials" by Donald McCaig highly ENOUGH for anyone who chooses to include a Border Collie in their family. I read it as a young teenager, but adults love it, too. It will help you understand the way they think. You'll be glad you read it.


Congrats on your new dog! Be patient, give him time, and he'll likely become one of the most loving (in his own way) and loyal dogs you've ever had. :-)
dont pet him or tell him its ok when he is doing this because it just tells him every time he acts its ok to be scared and he will get attention and he will never be good inside. just bring him inside a lot and walk around with him inside and soon he will be ok.
Don`t worry, it`s perfectly normal. It`s just that your dog is not used to its new home. Give him more time, you`ll see. Give time to the time. That happened to my aunt`s new pet, but a few months later, she got used to her new home and the people.
Yes, you must be patient. Since he was neglected he has to get use to you and learn that you are not going to hurt him and that you will be his best friend. I got a dog that was neglected and he was afraid of the stairs, but in a few months he got over it. He was also skiddish when it came to me touching him, but he became my best friend and wouldnt leave my side once he got use to me.
I adopted a border collie/black lab mix that was abused also. You just need to have lots of patience and gain the dogs confidence more. Figure out what the dog is scared of mostly and gradually introduce it to the dog, or change it. My dog was scared of the door, and I had to open the door really wide and praise the dog every time it went through the door. She isn't scared of the door anymore. Maybe you should try something like that depending on what the dog is scared of.
Poor baby. Good for you giving her a good home. Time and patience will likely bring her around, tho if you want to improve things when you're out and about, you may want to consider getting into a training class to help socialize your BC more.
Be patient. Your Collie may never be totally normal again, but just keep loving him and be very gentle and soft with him. Buy him a crate and put in a nice soft blanket and keep it in a quiet corner of the bedroom so he can curl up in there when he is feeling scared.but never shut the door of the crate on him, as that would freak him out. After he is comfortable with you and his new home, begin introducing him to other dogs and people to build up his confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment