Thursday, July 30, 2009

big dog and little dog?

we have a weimerainer and a long haired dashound.the little one aka tucker the dashound barks terribly at the big one aka rock the weimeriner each time he comes in to door other than that they get along fine whats up with that?
Answers:
I have a chihuahua that does the same thing to my lab and Dalmatian. When I asked my vet wut was up he said that it's all about the lil dog trying to live in the big dog world. The lil dogs bark to establish dominance. There really isn't a clear cut way to stop it because the need for the lil guy to be on the top of the alpha ranking is always gone be there. Wut I do however is I just pick my chihuahua up when every my big dogs run in and out. It kinda gives her that upper hand that she's looking for with the barking. Good luck!
Your dach wants to be the alpha dog and is establishing his territory as the house. You are lucky they don't fight. Maybe if you pay a lot of attention to the dach and no attention to the weimer when he comes in the house the barking will stop.
Since I cant see how he is doing it. I have to guess. Either the little dog wants to play, or is a bit frightened, or juist trying to be boss. I would guess he is a bossy guy trying to play. Or maybe he is reminding his bigger buddy who is in charge.
my lil chihuahua did the same thing to my big boxer i always just figured she was reminding him she was the queen lol she would even bite at his feet. he also kinda hunkered down like he believed her lol
Little dogs are more annoying and hyper. Our mini jack russell always aggravates our chow.
Definitely sounds like a territorial/dominance issue. Was Tucker there first? That could explain the dominance attempts. My 9 lb Toy Poodle always makes my 53 lb Boxer aware who is the boss. When the Boxer gets out of hand, the Poodle puts him back in his place in the pack.

Mine never fight, it's purely a dog asserting his "alpha-ness" in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment