Thursday, July 30, 2009

Best puppy choice around kids?

My hubby n I are looking at getting a puppy early next year the same time in looking at getting pregnant. Atm we are thinking Golden Retrievers would be a good choice of breed. Does any1 know a better breed or agree with our choice? We will be taking the pup to Puppy Training and regular daily exercise etc
Answers:
Your wise to get a puppy before the kids, so you can spend the time training it. Just remember, it will get used to being the "only child" very quickly, and sometimes that negatively effects their relationship with the real child. My husband and I chose labs over golden's, but I am not real sure why - maybe the amount of hair. My pet peeve is dog hair on my children. I will never forget changing my son's diaper and finding dog hair in his poop, and I am very clean person. Ewe! Anyway, back to the topic.

I have a 3.5yr old and a 2yr old, and 2 chocolate labs. What were we thinking, huh?! :) Out of the two labs, my adult who is 6yrs is so amazing with the kids. She doesn't really "play" with the kids, but she is so sweet and submissive with them. I am more worried about them hurting her, then her hurting them! Now, with the lab pup who is only 6 months, he is a bit more feisty, and required 3 months of obedience training to to behave with the children. My 3.5yr old loves to play with the puppy, and they do very well together. My 2yr old doesn't care for the puppy at all. His movement is too fast and unpredictable for my younger child.

Every dog regardless of breed is different, just like people. It's important to narrow down which dog you want by the amount of grooming and activity required, but remember to make multiple visits to the breeder's house before choosing a particular puppy.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Golden Retrievers are a breed we seriously considered when we wanted to bring a puppy into our home this summer. They are wonderful dogs and if well trained, even better.
Golden Retrievers are fantastic as well as any kind of Lab, black lab's especially. Now this may sound weird, but I am pregnant with my fourth baby, I have 3 other boys, ages 6,5 and 15 months. We rescued a great dane from a rescue and she is the absolute kindest, most gentle laid back dog I have ever met. My baby climbs on her and pulls on her and she just lays there. She is super protective of all of us, but during nap time sleeps next to his crib. Good luck in your search.
labs make great pets to kids.
I agree with your choice on a Goldie. But, be aware to check the breeding line it is from because this has a lot do do with the temperament of the dog. Godies are in the Sporting Breed Class and are very active, they need space to run and excercise and if you choose one from a good line,they make great pets around children but they do shed.
miniture poodles! i kuv them!!

or labs will also make great pets!
I have an Australian Shepard and my kids ride it, tackle it, pull its ears and he absolutely loves it. he even warned us ounce when our 2 year old got out side our fence. Awesome dog needs a little room to run but if you have room for a retriever you would have room for an Aussie
That depends on how knowledgeable you are about dogs and dog training. Any breed can be bad around kids, any can be good, it depends. I wouldnt suggest anyone getting a puppy while welcoming a new baby at the same time unless you know for sure what you want and its second nature to you but from your Question it doesnt sound like it. Which is good that you are trying to find out now before you have a baby.
My advice is to go to www.petfinder.com and choose a dog that will fit your lifestyle and that is already housetrained and doesnt have the symbol with the child crossed out b/c that is not a child friendly dog according to the handler.
From personal experience Golden Retrievers are good with children but any dog can develop bad habits such as food aggression (w/o proper training) and that can be dangerous to children.
Do a trial run with a dog of choice so from a rescue group or shelter. If you buy a puppy you may just end up sending it to a shelter if things dont work out.
In the end, only you will be able to decide what is the best breed of dog for your child. Good Luck!!
Minature schnauzer.
Retrievers make great family pets whether you choose the Golden or the Labrador you will never regret it. Very intelligent, loyal and sweet.
Good luck to you and your soon to be two new family members :)
I think a puddle they are nice but are sometimes hard to train but are love able around kids I use to have one.
Goldens are great breeds. But often at puppies, retrivers are hyper and with a baby around you need a dog that will be calmer and also one that you can enjoy. A cocker spaniel seems perfect for you. they are extremely easy to train and great with kids.

Good Luck with your decision! : )
golden retreivers are good, but labs are really good around kids. don't get a huge dog, it ussally dosen't work out. some times st bernards are good, i read some where, but i dunno
I would as well recommend an aussie. We have 4 currently and all are very smart, loyal and HIGHLY trainable. Goldens are smart as well but can prove to be stubborn and are more prone to health problems. Although the breed characteristics for an aussie say they herd children, etc. I find this very untrue! I have know at least 40 aussies (all from different bloodlines) and none of them herd kids. All mine know there limits and who they are dealing with. For example, Tipper, will come and jump on me because I like that, but when she approachs my two year old cusins and elderly poeple she sits quitely and allows them to do what ever she wants. (Even pull her hair!) Goldies are always happy and excited. Not that this is a bad trait, it's just a small child might get knocked over while they are playing. They also don't shed quite as much as a goldie. Hope this helps and good luck with your new child and puppy!
a pit bull. they love kids. mine does, and he lets my babysister sit in him, hit him and pull his ears. he dont care. and a pit bull is a nice breed. mine loves people and animals and love dogs.
Labrador have a great temperament and I feel they are perfect around children if it's trained well. I also like your choice of dog.
I always grew up with collies and even had one during my pregnancy and after the baby was born. They are excellent with babies, children and adults. Retrievers are also another good breed.
When my kids were growing up, I always had German Shepherds. I had got one when my youngest was only 18 months old, and he wouldn't ever let anyone hurt her! She could take anything off of him including food or bones, and he just didn't care, he looked after her more than the rest of us. Then when Bandit was about 4 years old, we got a female German Shepherd called Kristy, and she was very good with all 3 of my children. They would even sleep on the sofa with my kids when they were taking a nap, and stay outside in the yard with them, and not let anyone else near them they didn't know. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't of got any other breed, and even now though they are both gone, I have a black German Shepherd, and last week while my daughter and I were both at work, someone tryed to break in the back door of our house, and if it wasn't for him, they probably would of succeeded!! I'm just partial to that breed though, but good luck with what ever breed you get!
golden retrievers.i have one and they are great with adults and kids
Golden Retreivers. I have one and they are bad at chewing things up at a young age, but if you just deal with it and let them live inside, they turn out to be really great dogs. Plus they are smart. I have one. He is the best!
Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers They are a great breed for kids, they don't shed (great for allergy suffers like my husband), and they are medium sized dogs so not too overwhelming for the little ones. We have two Wheaties and they are the best dogs I've ever owned. My 3 year old lays right down next to them on the floor to watch TV sometimes and always plays with them So cute.
golden retrievers and labradors are both excellent choices both are as gentle breeds and are intelligent so training will be easier

very good choice i agree whole heartedly with you
I'd say wait until after you have the baby.. That way the puppy or dog that you get will get used to the baby easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment