Friday, July 31, 2009

Breeder trouble.. HELP!!?

Ok, so heres the deal. I bought a boxer from a lady in NC that claims she was a dog breeder. The puppy has demodex. As I understand it, it is a genetic mange recieved from the mother that weakens the immune system. The vet says it can take time and money to treat. He also says that the breeder more than likely knew about this problem and the whole littler probably suffers from it. So, I contacted the breeder ( i happened to save her e-mail address). She says she had no idea blah blah blah. Yet a few sentences down says she kept a pup from the litter that has the same problem. When I wrote back and said there is no way these 2 pups hundreds of miles away from each other just consenquently both end up with this unless it came from the mother, she says she wants no further contact and won't write back. Is there something I can do about this? No more pups should suffer like mine! Can I contact CKC? What should I do? Anything helps and correct me anywhere I'm wrong! Thanks in advance!!
Answers:
CKC is a registry for puppy mills. they won't do anything about her selling dogs in poor health.
No puppy lemon laws in NC..sorry!
You don't have any recourse, unless you wanna take her to court..Email Judge Judy (from website) and see what requirements are.. When I did this,,she accepted my case..but the person I was suing was afraid to fly, so it didn't work out (got him in local court anyway..) Anyway..Judge Judy is really strict about ill puppies, and will take this case if her staff can get the breeder to co-operate..they actually pay you to be on her show, and pay all transportation and rooming while you are there.Its worth a shot! I think you first have to send her (the breeder) letters that you can trace (registered or emails) and you have to file in your local court..then apply to Judge Judy..
Puppy mills would go out of business if people who buy their pups could get their money back or vet bills.CKC would go out of business if they denied privileges to disreputable breeders..
one cavet in here ALL pups get demadex mites from their mom - all dogs have it but their immune systems keep it in check. Now there is a form of demadex probelem that is a small problem of patches (loclized demadex) and is usually prought on by stress, and goes away when life resums an even keel. This is not usually considered heritatary and two sisters with it would be as common as two sisters with fleas.A few dog inherit an immune deficency from mom OR dad (similar to inheriting allergies) that means problems. The generlized form - which is much more of a problem and reason to stop breeding the parents.
Went thru about the same thing.
Our first german shepherd had a locked testicle and had to be neutered.Breeder admitted that a pup from last litter had the same problem.We asked for half our money back on him since she guaranteed us a healthy pup.She told us to put him down and she'd return our money in full.We could return him to her and she'd refund half our money for her trouble of putting him down herself or we could go to hell and leave her alone.Nice huh?
We went to an attorney.He told us that we had one year to take her to court here in Illinois.We would have to bring all our vet bills and have our vet testify on our behalf paying her for her time at the courthouse.But altho it would be costly for us in the beginning we'd recoup all vet bills,attorney fees,court costs and his original purchase price.But when he said there was a chance a judge would order us to return the dog to that horrible woman we dropped it.
I contacted AKC over the matter and was told that they were no more than a dog registry.That they were very well aware that too many supposedly reputable breeders were in-breeding dogs and selling the pups for an ungodly price because the were AKC registered and had championship bloodlines but they could do nothing about it.They did not condone the practice but had no choice but to turn a blind eye when they see brother and sister,father and daughter or mother and son were bred together.As long as they all had AKC papers the pups were registered with no limitations.
This was the first AkC dog I had ever owned and I was crushed to find that my belief,that an AKC registered pup meant quality,was totally wrong.
I was really upset when the nice lady from AKC then told me that if my pup came with papers then I needed to register him evan tho he'd have to be neutered.When I asked what the point of that was,she told me simply-"So everyone will know where this pup is."
I KNOW WHERE HE IS AND WHERE HE"LL STAY and that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned and I refused to send them the fee.
It's doubtful CKC will care about your problem either but it probably won't hurt to try.Your best bet would be to tell everyone what you're going thru with this pup to deter others from making the same mistake in buying from this woman.
It's not defamation of character if what you say is true and you can back up your allegations with documentation.Let her take you to court over it.She'll lose and be out money for attorney fees and court costs as well as future sales on her pups.
I know there are good breeders out there.The next dog I buy I will know what questions to ask and what to look for before I lay out my money.I hope this experience has done the same for you altho I'm sorry you're going thru it now.
That's one of the problems with not doing research on the breeder. Sounds like you bought from a BYB, or backyard breeder. CKC and AKC are somewhat of a joke. Contacting them won't do anything for those pups. A responsible breeder (and there's a whole list of requirements for that) would not just dump the puppy on you like that with no further contact.

I wish you and your pup luck. Demodex can be treated, but it can always flare back up during stress and illness.

For future reference, you may want to try Boxer rescues. There are PLENTY of homless boxers of ALL ages waiting for homes. You can do a search on Petfinder.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment