Thursday, July 30, 2009

Boxer in heat, can't stand her smell!!?

Okay, This is going to sound weird, but I want to know what to do about my dog. She's abou 13mos. She's in heat, has been for about a week. She lives outside during the day until I get home from work. Well, a few days ago, we noticed she was leaking on our bed.gross! So, I took an old pair of underwear and a pad and put them on her. But she won't leave it alone and somhow, gets blood on the outside of the underwear.
I'm 5wks pregnant and can't stand the way she smells. To me, she smells like a human would. What can I do to get rid of the smell without leaving her outside all day?
How long does her heat last??
Answers:
It can last a couple of weeks I would get her diapers if shes bigger get her adult diapers. and cut a hole for her tail, that should control it getting on stuff and give her a bath more often than usual that should control the smell. Good Luck! When you leave her outside be sure to keep boy dogs away from her. just watch her very close.
I think petco has pads for that. Its basically a diaper. I would have her fixed. I think that gets rid of that problem. Plus she should get her own bed since you are preg.
A dog's heat can last from one to two weeks. You can buy special diapers for the dog from a pet store so she won't leave marks everywhere. I suggest you secure your yard or keep the dog under close supervision so that no other dogs will gain access to her and possibly get her pregnant.
I would be real careful about leaving her outside unattended while she's in heat as males are known to jump or dig under 6 ft fences to get to a female in heat.

You can but special doggie pads at the store, made to fit your dog, as opposed to what you tried, to help control the mess. Not sure on the smell tho, might have to ask your vet on that one.
You could try getting fancy pants at your local petstore, theyre essentially the same thing you made for her but specifically designed for dogs. There are odor blocking one available too. My roommates dog just got out of heat. The easiest and most practical suggestion is getting her spayed. Since you cant do that until after she is out of heat i would stick with the fancy pants and also not allow her on any furniture as she will leak.
Get her spayed !! I don't care if you have a 30 foot tall fence, there will be a day where a stray sneaks into the yard or she runs off. A female dog in heat will attract every stray intact dog in town. You'll suddenly have problems with agressive stray males wandering your front yard trying to get through the fence.

There's no need to keep her intact. And vets will tell you it's healthier -- lower risk of some kinds of cancers.

If money is the issue, ask at your local shelter for a SNAP certificate. It's a really cheap voucher for spaying/neutering.

No comments:

Post a Comment