Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Best dog to be companion puppy for my 8yr old female spayed German Shepherd?

I have an 8yr old spayed female German Sheperd, she is lonely and needs a friend. I was considering a female Chocolate Lab but I am reading bad things about two female dogs together, also don't want a male to be pissing all over the house. I am open to suggestions as far as breed and gender but I am pretty sure that a puppy would be the best bet to ensure the dogs get along. My dog has lived alone her whole life and has had very little experience with other dogs but she likes to be pretty dominant when other dogs come over to play and seems like she always wants to play aggressively. This is why i am leaning towards a puppy of a larger breed. I also considered another german sheperd but would like a different breed. I have a large house and large yard so space is not an issue, they should not be competeing for territory.
Answers:
I would diffently go with a Labrador Retriever I could not possibly say enough good things about the breed. They love people and get along great with other dogs. I was in the same spot as you when I wanted to bring another dog in the house. I already had a three year old Pit Bull so I thought going with a puppy would be my best bet. That way the puppy would grow up with the other dog and their were no fighting. I have two males, both neutered and they are the best of friends. I do not have a problem with either of the boys marking their territory in the house. My Lab was neutered at six months and actually pees like a girl. You may want to consider a male and get him neutered young, I have never had two females togther so I do not know if it would be a problem. The only thing I have ever heard that having two unneutered males is a huge problem. But I can tell without a doubt you would not be making a mistake by getting a Lab. I have had tons of breeds of dogs and have never been so impressed as I have been by the Labs. They are very loving and affectionate, highly trainable and easy to train, very versatile ans adaptable, and just love everyone and everything.
a golden retriver is the best way to go. Goldens can get along with any dog and they make a good pets.
a golden labrador retriver. they are great companiens for dogs and humans.
Since she has been alone all her life get a dog that is a follower not a leader. If it doesn't work go onine and put down dog whisperer. I've seen his show he is amazing.
Same sex pairs are more likely to have a dominance fight. You're best bet would be a male. Have him neutered young to prevent marking. No breed is perfect (that goes for goldens!) so maybe a young adult would be better than a puppy (as far as knowing it temperament). I would highly recommend going to an animal shelter or rescue and finding an older, submissive male. That way you know exactly what you are getting, you can introduce them and see how it goes, and you will be saving a life!
a male german shepard pup if she has had a litter before or not most likely her mother instincts will kick in hopefully
whoa is this just like my neighbor he has a 7 year old female german shepherd Reba and he recently last year got a female german shepherd and they are the best of friends.. i would say go with another german shepherd reba picked the 1 year old puppy up like she was her mom.. she protects are and everything. i would highly suggest another german shepherd as long as they like each other

No comments:

Post a Comment