Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bichon frise or Shih tzu?

Im pretty sure a bichon frise is the one i want to chose
BUT i did some research up on shih tzus and now im a little
stuck. which one do you think i should chose and why? also
share some of the stories and experiences you've had with you own pet and what you think makes them unique and why you
love them.btw im an allergenic and both breeds are hypo
allergenic but which one do youthink that i would have less
reactions from?


thanks, sencierly dd
Answers:
Keep in mind that hypoallergenic does not guarantee that you won't suffer from allergies to these breeds. This depends on how severe your allergies are. My sister in law can't get within 5 feet of anything with fur and even hypoallergenic doesn't make a difference (another family member has a Shih tzu she's still reacted to). Some do okay with it, but if your allergies are severe, it may not make a difference.

My neighbor, brother and sister in law all have Shih tzu's and they really are wonderful, friendly and lovable little dogs to be around! Great with children and just fun perky little things. My neighbors dog is crazy about me and is so excited when I go visit (she does this with no one else either). I think they're a great little dog, but don't have any experience with the Bichon to compare to.
I have a 13 week old Bichonpoo. She is half Bichon. She does not bother my allergies. She is very mellow. Smart, easily trainable. Cute as a button. Her name is Esperanza. She goes everywhere with me and never causes problems. I would say get a Bichon. The traits I am seeing in Esperanza are just like her mom's who was the Bichon.
Both are pretty wonderful breeds. I find that shih tzu's are slightly more hyper. Every one I've been around was a compulsive licker. That, and I just love the Bichon's little ewok puppy face. It is so cute!
shih tzu's are tempermental. they are a one owner dog. well the males are. females are more loving. but they can be stinkers. my grandma had a male one that didn't like anyone. if you just touched his chair he would attack your ankles.
I had a pure bred shih tzu and it had horrible allergies itself. I had to give him allergy medication prescribed by the vet, because it would scratch all the time, I felt so sorry for him. Also my shih tzu could never be house broken no matter what I did and believe me I tried everything!! He barked alot also, but thats the case with most small breeds anyway. But he was a sweetie pie, cute as a button and as loyal as can be. I had to give him to my cousin because I couldnt keep him where I stayed. I wouldnt get another shih tzu though, I would go with a large breed myself, but if you are allergic to them the Bichon frise may be one for you.
go to www.petfinder.com and search in your area for the different breeds you want. Bichons, Shih tzus, and Maltese are excellent choices if you have allergies. But don't think you can't find them (or even a combination of them!) at shelters. And you'll be saving a life!
I have three maltese, a yorkie, and recently I rescued an abandonded large golden retreiver/terrier mix and have decided to keep her.
I love my 2 Shih-tzus, they are little clowns and keep us entertained when they're in their play mood. My 2 love everyone, they don't know a stranger they also don't yap very much at all only when someone knocks on the door or when another dog passes by our place and they are not hyperactive dogs at all. They are pretty calm and will just sit on my lap while I watch TV or type on the puter (mine are only 1 1/2 and 3 yrs old). As long as I feed them a good quality diet (grain free) they don't have any issues with itchy or dry skin. The only thing with Shih-tzus is they can be a little stubborn at times, but other than that they are great little dogs.
I think you would do better with a Maltese if you have allergies. They do not shed. I keep my dogs hair short anyway but easy dogs to care for and just very good companions. The ones you like are very active, yippy and although they are nice dogs they cause more allergies.
It really depends on the dog, not just on the breed. The breed temperament only states tendencies and generalities, but the dog you select will be very unique.

Bichons are similar to Poodles in that they are one of very few dog species that do not shed. I still have a toy poodle who is now 15 yrs old, and we got her for the same reason- hypoallergenic. Their hair looks and feels like carpet lint. It does come out, but not regularly. The hair also does not smell like "dog," which is great if you are allergic to dander. She does have to be groomed regularly, so this is something to consider with both breeds.

As for Shitzus, my friend has a very cute one. Although they do not shed, they are like Malteses-- long hair that can end up emanating a slight dog "funk." Though they do not shed, they are not exactly hypoallergenic, either. But better than nothing I suppose:)

Also, allergies are on a case by case basis. You may find yourself allergic to a Bichon, not allergic to a Great Dane, and allergic to a cat. You just don't know until you meet that particular cat or dog. Try it, and see.
I think you should try an oodle breed if you are allergenic. I am the same and bought a cavoodle (CKC Spaniel x Poodle) and he hasn't made me have any reactions at all!

I think a shitzu would be easier to train as bichons can be a bit uppity and princess like.

See my yahoo blog titled Charlie the cavoodle for pics and interesting stories, also have a look at this website for some bichoodles and shitzu crosses with poodles
We have two Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu crosses, and they are absolutely gorgeous! We have the best of both breeds in our cuties.

No comments:

Post a Comment