Friday, July 31, 2009

Bringing Home Baby.and dogs?

Hi. I have 2 awesome Bichons. They have been my babies for 7 years. I am 5 months pregnant and I'm wondering how to bring the baby home? Should I just bring the baby in the house right away? Should I go in first and greet the dogs, then bring the baby in? Should I just act like nothing is different? They will be very excited to see me, since I will be gone for a couple of day after birth. There's gotta be a proper way, so the dogs aren't overly jealous..thanks in advance for all of your answers!

Please don't tell me to get rid of my dogs.I had enough of that on the pregnany page!! I thought you guys might be more sympathic!
Answers:
I am also 5 months preg.. those chicks in the pregnancy category can be vicious! I do not plan to get rid of my fuzzy babies. Someone suggested bringing a blanket with the baby's smell on it home first, than sounds like a good idea. I will try that.
Ugh. I prefer the company of dogs over babies.

Arf.
When my friend had her baby, she had her husband take some of the babies first little swaddling blankets from the hospital home and gave them to the dogs so that they could get used to the baby's smell.
My friend just went through this with her dogs. She had her husband bring a blanket home from the hospital before she came home and let the dogs sniff it and get use to the smell. Her dogs seem to adjust well even thought they don't get as much attention as before. She makes sure to give them attention everyday even if only for a few minutes. I owuld never get rid of my dogs. It just takes some getting use to for everyone including the dogs.
Have someone else carry in the baby so you can get all the hugs and kisses out of the way first thing. Then let them see the baby. However depending on how your dogs are and what kind of delivery you have(C section) you may need a buffer between you and the dogs if they will jump on you when you come in.
I have a Great Dane, and had a conversation about bringing a baby home with all sorts of other dog people. The best advice I heard was to lay the baby out on the bed, with just a diaper, so that the dog could sniff her all over. Great Danes are very gentle and very nose oriented, so this worked well when we introduced her to my baby niece. Good luck. This all depends, of course, on the level of aggression-towards-strangers your dogs have, if any.
What I did with my cats was I just walked the baby in and sat down. The cats came up and sniffed her to see what this new thing was in their house. After about 10 seconds, they lost interest as cats usually do. Every time they were in the room, I made sure to let them sniff the baby.

Dogs can be different because they like to jump and get very excited. As long as you pet them while you hold the baby, they will know that you still love them and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Good luck.

Also, for people that suggest that you get rid of animals that you have had for over 7 years, shame on them. Animals are a lifetime commitment. That makes me really angry.
I wish I could tell you something sympathic, but by my experiance it's not good. We had got my daughter a beautiful English Springer Spanial when she was 2, my son was born 5 years later. While I was changing his diaper one day on the sofa, Skipper went for his face, thank god for good reflexes, my son was unharmed. I talked my husband into giving the dog another chance, but it happened again while my son was in the stroller, My son was never injuried, but the risk was to high. The dog had to go, we then had to try to explain to our daughter why her best friend had to go; her brother is now her best friend. He was a very protective dog, so we think this thing: the baby didn't belong here.
Your dogs should be fine as long as they are supervised. When I had mine, (11 years ago), my dogs were curious, but very gentle. I think there was an episode on Dog Whisperer about this subject. Basically you have to make sure your dogs know that the baby is the boss, (including you and any other people in the house). Trust me, your dogs are your "babies" now, but when you have your actual baby, you will see them more as dogs. I was the same way. Congratulations on your baby!!
what ever dont get rid of your dogs when my mom brought my little brother we had a chihuahua he was treated like a baby my mom brought the baby my mom showed it to him he just stared at it then the baby was sleeping he looked and looked at the bed . just treat them the same way now he is1 year old and they play my brother is always chasing the dog

No comments:

Post a Comment