Friday, May 21, 2010

Can anyone help?

My Mom passed away 10 months ago. She had a dog named Becky, a miniature pincher, who my Dad is now taking care of alone. Becky has always had a slight problem with going to the bathroom in the house, but starting a couple of months after my Mom passed her "accidents" have increased tremendously. My Dad has tried to a number of things to keep her from going in the house and nothing seems to work. He is currently almost at the end of his rope and has decided to give her away. I love her very much and she is a part of my Mom that I do not want to let go. I have two dogs of my own and there is no way I can take on another one. If you have any solutions or ideas on how to cut back on her "accidents", I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

Jessica Bates
Answers:
The dog wants attention. The dog also feels lost and feels the loss of your mother. Dogs grieve the loss of their leader..which your mom was for the dog. I would buy a dog kennel to keep the dog in.dog kennel/dog crate.when you're dad can't be home. When he is home.he needs to talk soothingly and not raise his voice and spend quality time with the dog every single day. The dog is looking to bond with a new leader and isn't finding a leader who's accepting him/her and giving love and affection that matched your mother's.
Lock her outside, but give her a nice set up. . .
they say that rubbing their nose into and tapping them on the bum and saying no is wrong! but i done that to my two dogs when they lived inside, and they stopped after a few days.

you need to catch them doing it though, put their nose in it, tap them on the bum, say no then take them straight to the place you want them to do it in eg grass etc..
If the dog is older it will be really difficult to re-potty train the dog. My sisters toy poodle started going in the house when she is left alone too long. My sister bought some "puppy pee pads". The pads attract dogs like a litter box attracts a cat.
She is missing your mom, too. I think her more-frequent accidents are part of that. Dogs can have very deep feelings for their owners and they know when they are gone. I would take her to a vet, or at least ask about it. I'm not a "pet phsycologist", but I've had dogs and know that they do have feelings and hurt when their routine is drastically changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment