Monday, May 24, 2010

can heart worm pills cause seizers in pitt bulls?


Answers:
It should not. Was your dog tested negative for heartworm before you gave a preventative? If your dog was positive and you gave a heartworm preventative it can make your dog sick or kill it. If your dog is having seizures I would get it in to your vet so he/she can prescribe an anti-seizure medication if needed
yea
Absolutely if you gave them to the dog without testing for heart worms first. As mature worms die and brake up they will clog arteries just like blood clots do.
Only if your dog was heartworm positive when you gave him the pill. At least that's the only time I've ever seen that happen. What type of prevention is he/she on and how long has he/she been on it?
I have 3 dogs that have seizures and they are controllable with Phenobarbital or Potassium Bromide. Your vet will be able to determine the cause and what course of treatment would be best.
if they over dose on them it can; I put my lab in the garage while cutting the grass; he found the meds and chewed the top off; when I found him a few hours later he was seizing and died before I could get him to the vet;
Never heard of a pit bull or any terrier having any problems with seizures caused by heartworm preventative.

Call your vet.
No

No comments:

Post a Comment