Friday, May 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend any good pet health insurance plans?

Can you share some experiences with your pets and how pet insurance helped with your pets? Serious Answers Only!
Answers:
I have VPI and I have been very pleased with them. It costs me $240 a year for both of my dogs. However, the have a very set procedure that you need to follow.

Pet insurance does not work like people insurance, you still have to pay the full amount of the service at the vet and then you fax in a claim form to VPI and they directly reimburse you within a couple of weeks, So, you still need a credit card or some way to pay your vet. It is false that some vets don't accept, because the vet is never the person who processes the insurance.

They will not cover any heriditary diseases (hip displacia, wobblers, etc) or preexisting conditions. So, to really get your $$ worth you need to start your coverage when your dog is a puppy and renew every year. Some breeds are much more expensive than others and they may not insure you if they choose.

They have a couple different levels of coverage. I pay for only catastrophic injury or illness ($50 deductable), but my dogs are still pretty young and don't go to the vet a lot. If your dog does, they have a plan that is more per month, but covers regular visits, shots and such. You are required to get a yearly physical for your dog to be covered.

I have only had one smallish claim ($250), but they were very prompt in sending me my check and I have no complaints with them.
the best way to find out is to ask your vet. They can give you information on all the pet insurance out there and help you pick a great one for your animal.

I dont have pet insurance at the moment, but I know if I ever decide to get some I will ask my vet.
VPI -- they've been in business the longest and have a great reputation
I would ask your vet. Someone who posted on answers said not all vets accept it. Here's what I do. I get the quote on what the coverage would cost and then compare it to what it will pay.
Usually I find that unless something really serious happens, its just swapping dollars with the ins. co.
High vet bills in the past prompted me to get pet insurance this time around. I had heard negative things about VPI online so went with Pets Best and have been happy so far.

It obviously pays out better the more expensive the bill is, but I was looking for a company that wouldn't limit the amounts by procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment