Monday, May 24, 2010

Can dogs look up with their eyes?

my friend claims that dogs move their head upwards to see what's going on and they can't actually look up with their eyes - is this true?
Answers:
Hi, your friend is wrong, they can %26 do look up with their eyes.

Have a look at this photo:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/wa.

She's not quite looking totally upwards but you can see that her eye has moved because it showing part of the white underneath.

Compare it to this photo:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/wa.

Same dog but no eye whites showing at all because she is looking straight at the camera.

Hope this helps.
Mine looks up at me all the time without moving his head.
Yes. So can you.
Have your friend state her source.
Um, not that I know of. My dog can look up with his eyes. Your friend sounds like a dummy, lol.
No. They only move their heads when the thing they want to see is too far up (as we do)
I have seen dogs being told off by their owners and they cower their heads but also look up I suppose for some gesture of forgiveness maybe, I am not in the know on this subject but from what ive seen I would disagree.
My dogs and cats and horses all look up with their eyes
My dog can, but he's a border collie.. he can do anything!
I DONT HAVE PETS
not sure as i dont have a dog unfortunately. :(
That's a really good question, and youhave me wondering if your friend may be right. My little dog does move her head up to look up at things. Amazing thumbs up to your friend and you for posting that question
Of course they can! Your friend is either pulling your leg or is not too bright!
Have they ever been around any animals ever?
look up what.the football results.next weeks telly.
Yes they can look up, without usiong their head!>xx
of course it is they have eyes like ours just dont see in colour ope this helps
That was a good question, as cats supposedly do not move their eyes - only move their heads.
I believe that they can move their eyeballs to see around - perhaps not with as drastic movement/motion that humans do. Think of when your dog has his head laying on his paws and looks up with those "puppy eyes".
I think your friend needs a book on dogs.
yes they can.but what a dog cant do is lick his lower lip..
yes they can look up with their eyes.
mine is looking up at me right now, she was asleep on the floor, I shouted her name but she's too lazy to lift up her head, lol.
Dogs have a much larger range of vision than we do. Image a gigantic sphere with a blacked out pie shape, the tip being at the back of the head, extending back behind the dog. The dog sees everything in that gigantic sphere, with the exception of that blacked out pie shape.

So literally, your dog can see behind its own head without turning its head.
I thin k mine does when she wants something! I sure she does for a biscuit!
your friend has been watching sean of the dead, its not true, they can look up.

1 comment:

  1. *to person above* Way to spell SHAUN wrong. Some dogs can look up with just their eyes and others have to move their heads.

    ReplyDelete