Friday, May 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend products for dogs for skin allergies?

I have a pomeranian and his skin looks irritated, flaking, and he itches.
Answers:
I get a special shampoo from my vet that works great. When it gets really bad my dog gets put on steriods. You can give your dog benadryll, but please call your vet first so you give him the right amount. The best course of action is to go to the vet there are so many things that could trigger this problem and you don't want to give him something that will make it worse.
I have a pom and she was having those problems so the vet recommended I get her a supplement to help her and it worked. I got her a supplement called Healthy Coat by Nutri-Vet. It really improved her coat and she looks great now. If that doesn't work ask your vet because dogs do get allergies.
Selsun blue worked great for my small dog, but he's also allergic to fleas. So I had to take him to the vet, she recommended a medicated dog shampoo.
benadryl spray for dogs or a powder called BFI is what we use where i work. also an oatmeal bath would do alot to sooth her skin, sold in pet stores.
I worked in a vet clinic as a dog groomer, and for dogs with allergic reactions, they recommended a kangaroo-potato food. Or one of science diets prescription foods for skin and hair. Your dog is small so buy it a really good food. It can be over-bathing, fat overweight dogs sometimes have skin issues due to eating bad stuff. Some had anxiety issues and had poor hair coats. Don't over wash the dog, or when bathed use a dog shampoo (they have a different ph than people).

No comments:

Post a Comment