Monday, May 24, 2010

can dogs die from heart attacks?


Answers:
Ummmm, people..

"Heart attacks" (myocardial infarction) are fairly rare in dogs.

Cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure are common, however. And they do die from them often.but it's not a heart 'attack' like people get.

*EDIT* I can virtually guarantee that the boxer example in the next post did NOT have a heart attack. Boxers have a specific cardiac condition..named Boxer Cardiomyopathy, coincidentally, lol (similar to what Dobes and Gt. Danes get)..and it is VERY common in that breed. (Often causes sudden death.but it's NOT a myocardial infarction. It causes death by another mechanism altogether.) Some DVM's will use the term 'heart attack' only because it's something with which the general public is familiar and can identify with. But that doesn't make it a heart attack.
yes and there are several things that will give them one
Yes, I think they can.
Of course! Dogs have all of the stuff we do only in smaller packages.
yes they can
Yes
Yes, dogs can die pretty quickly from heart attacks, just like people.
Yes.my black lab did and she was only 2 years old.
Yes, my dog died of heart failure over Labor Day weekend. I had him on three medications, but he just didn't last. He was only nine.
Yes they can. Heart disease in dogs is most common in older dogs and it can be controlled with drugs once diagnosed.
Yes they can.
Maybe, but for sure they can die of 'broken hearts'. My Rott did, my vet thinks. And so did a dog we had when I was a kid - it was a Weimeraner, and my mom had to give it away. Not long after, I heard it died of a broken heart. I guess they just lose the will to live. So wierd.
yes, I'm afraid they can. and they can die from broken hearts too.
Yes.
Yes
yes
Yes. He can die like everybody else. Even a duck can die from heart attack.
yes. I'll give you an example. A friend i know had a Boxer that lived indoors or in their yard and never really saw a large amount of activity or people. One day (i think the dog was like 5 years old at the time) they took him to the beach with them. The dog was so frightened by all the action and activity and all the people and colors and everythign we don't notice because we see so often, that he had a heart attack. They took him to the vet immediately and the vet told them he had had a heart attack from sudden shock. He didn't die but did go on medication from then on.
yes
YES
One of my shepherds went into cardiac arrest and died due to an error in her medication dosage. The tech at the vet's office consulted the wrong chart when she wrote out the prescription label. After that, I always insisted that the doctor fill out the prescription label for my dogs.
i dont think so .maybe

1 comment:

  1. Yes, although its uncommon.
    My dog Jessica died of cardiac arrest when she was 10 yrs old.
    She was diagnosed as having a congenital heart murmer when she was 4. I actually got a second opinion, because the vet had a really bad comb-over, & I questioned his judgment (the diagnosis was confirmed). I was told that she was healthy, & that this may or may not affect her later in life.
    6 yrs later, she developed an odd, persistant cough (apparently, this is a common symptom in dogs with heart problems). The vet consulted a canine cardiologist, then prescribed medication. There were no guarantees the meds would work, & we were told she could live another 7 days, or 7 yrs. The cough stopped, but she had a heart attack 2 weeks later, while riding in the car.

    If you have a dog, I strongly recommend you learn Canine CPR. This may have saved my dog. There are instructional videos on the internet, or better yet, you can take a class.

    ReplyDelete