Friday, May 21, 2010

Can dogs be given Benadryl in order to lessen the itch of a skin disorder?

Schitzu (I know that's spelled wrong) mix.
Answers:
Yes, BUT CONSULT A VET 1ST. because you can OVERDOSE your dog very EASILY..its better to give them childrens benadryl or liquid, be very careful because it goes by weight.for instance I gave my miniture dauschund a 1/4 of a tablet and it caused her to be very non coherient.I called the vet and they told me that I gave her too much I should have given her only 1/2 of a 1/4 of a benadryl, if that much even.she weighed around 10 lbs. PLEASE FOR YOU PUPPYS SAKE CONTACT YOUR VET 1ST..good luck..another thing you could do is bathe your dog in a oatmeal bath this will also surpress the itching, rinse well with cool water that closes the pores.and if it is really bad your vet might have to give your dog a mild seditive while the dogs skin heals because itching only irrates the skin..also a tar shampoo from the pharmacy could help.again good luck.
I wouldn't use anything like that without consulting a vet. You could use plain and simple Paw Paw cream. I know that's available from chemists and my sister used it on her dog and it did help the condition and it's not poisonous if they try to lick it off.
Only with the recommendation of your vet.. There are so many variables, that it would be impossible for Yahoo! users to recommend Benedryl or its dosage for your Shih Tzu,

However, you can safely give Chamomile Tea.
Give her Chamomile tea, to help her nerve endings calm down.
Chamomile tea works very well, and is safe for her. Dump it out of the teabag, and use 1 teaspoon for small breed. Mix it in a little canned food, such as Mighty Dog, or Cesar's, and she will relax in about 30 minutes.. It will keep her happy, but reduce stress. It can be given as needed.
You will find chamomile in your grocer's tea section..
My vet recommended a half-human dose for my *lab mix* for itching.

I would seriously get a vet's recommendation, though because there is probably a big size difference between your dog and mine (she's about 40 lbs).
Try the topical hydrocortizone cream. Diaper rash ointment works too. You can also get cortizone shampoo from the vet.
If it's an allergy skin disorder, yes, but you'll need to call the vet for the proper dosage.
Better than Benadryl, and MUCH safer - are Chlortabs. They are non drowsy and much less likely to have ANY side affects. I've used them on dogs and cats with allergies, and even on some ponies with skin allergies (to alfalfa of all things!)

I don't know what a brand name is but I do know they are small bright yellow round pills. WE call them Chlor-Tabs and my husband gets them from Walmart! They are really inexpensive too - I have TONS of allergies to everything and take loads of prescription meds. I back the prescriptions up with these because they are so benign, but yet work great.
Yes but only children's benardryl.. my shitzu is allergic to some things and my vet said to give her that but not more than under a half of a TB spoon
Yes.The dose is 1 mg.per pound of body weight,but you really should see the vet to see WHY she's itching.And you can use Chlor-Trimaton,2 mg.-2-3 times a day.DON"T use both of them at the same time,you can kill the dog.Oatmeal shampoo is good as well.
I have 2 boxiers, one 3 years old and one 11 months, My vet said Benadryl is perfect for the itches of hives, skin disorders and any time they get bit by bugs or sting ed by bees, thats the answer. 3 year old weights 52 pounds and can have 2 four times a day, 11 month old weighs 48 lbs and can have the same if needed. I gave my daughters small dog of 30 lbs 1 every 4 hours for a bad case of hives and it did fine. My 3 year old lives on it even when she is not broke out, cause boxier has a problem with allergies. My daughter has a prescription for even a harsher dose of benadryl cause hers is so bad. Benadryl is a good choice for hives or itching. Call your dogs weight in and ask how much it can have. Simple

3 comments:

  1. What about mixing chlortab and benadryl? I gave my 60lb dog a combo because the mix was the only thing that gave him some relief. Is mixing those two drugs fatal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and i seriously like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to discuss such a nice information. I'll definitely add this great post in my article section.
    Benadryl for a Dog | How Much Benadryl for a Dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. How Much Benadryl to Give Your Cat

    ReplyDelete