Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Best allergy cure needed for my dog's allergies, not mine.?

My dog is allergic to many things, which he is kept away from. However, every six weeks he breaks out into these welts and itches horribly where he tears into his skin. The welts puss and then scab and clear up. Almost like chicken pox. Any ideas and what can I give him. Any medications would be helpful.

He's allergic to oatmeal, benadryl doesn't do a thing.HELP!!
Answers:
Oh, poor baby. I think the best thing to do is take him to the vet. Never give him human medication without consulting a vet first.

Good luck. I hope the vet will be able to give you something that works for your dog.
Is chicken an ingredient in his food? For some odd reason lots of dogs have reactions to chicken. Have you taken him to the vet? I had a pitbull once that had a skin disease. We had to keep him on meds from the vets and use oils to rub down his skin once a week.
Take him to your vet and your vet should be able to recommend a good product. My dog has allergies in her ears really bad and my vet gave me an awesome cream. I use it once a week and she hasn't had an outbreak since. That was 2 years ago.
I HIGHLY suggest taking it to the vet for a benadryl shot. It works differently than the pill or cream. There are also other medications and shots you can get from your vet if you let them know what he is allergic too.

My cat had a severe skin allergy. I gave him an over the counter allergy pills until his vet visit. Chlor-Trimetron is pretty pricey (up there with claritin) but it works well. You should double check with your vet as always before giving it to your pup though. I also used a little bit of hydrogin peroxide on a cotton swab to clean his open scratches and placed a bit of anti-itch cream on them. This with the chlor-trimetron held him over until his shot.

He then had to have a monthly allergy shot. Your dog might need one as well. Check with your vet and see what they have to say.

good luck. =)
My puppy takes Benadryl. Here is link to dosage:
http://animalsunlimited.net/meds.htm.
Have you taken him to an actual Veterinary Dermatologist? this may help. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment