Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Besides crating what is the best way to house train a puppy?


Answers:
The only thing better than 'crating' would be 'boxing'.

Buy 16 oz. boxing gloves (endorsed by PETA because of their extra padding) and wait for an accident to happen.

DING! Round 1 begins..

Pepper the puppy with 'Rabbit Punches'..dogs HATE the idea of a fuzzy rabbit kicking their butt. Though the puppy may bob and weave, you'll eventually connect with a wild haymaker.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. HE'S OUT! You should now praise your puppy ecstatically! No response? Not to worry. A dog's brain can process your verbal approval even when asleep.

An hour later when your puppy regains consciousness, it'll stagger over and promise to NEVER do a no-no again.

This method not only helps train your dog and establishes your dominance early on, but also gives you some exercise as well.

Hope this helped.
:)
pretty much if you want to train your puppy then crate training is the way to go. you can try to do it without the crate but your pup will go all over the house. crate training is the best way to do it, it is not cruel but it will give your pup more control to hold it when you are not home or if you are at work. i breed golden retrievers and i crate train all my goldens and they will learn very quick on not to go potty in their crate. dogs don't like to go potty in the place where they sleep. it won't hurt him to be in a crate, it is ok for him to be in it for about 8 hoiurs at a time. good luck
Why not crate? This is a tried and proven method for dog potty training success. Type in dog potty training and google it. Loads of information.
I have three dogs and crated everyone of mine to potty train and they are doing fine and know where to potty every time.
Try walking it shortly after it's meal. It's more likely to "go" after a meal. Input gets you output. Be sure to praise when task is complete. How does one use a crate "indoors" to get a dog to learn to go outdoors anyway?
what you can do is go to the nearest petstore..like PEtSmart or Petco and get Potty training pads. these pads have a distinctive scent which the dogs will want to pee or poo on.
I have to strongly agree with the crate-trainers on here. There's no good reason not to use the method. I think you can search for my other answers, and I put a lot of info about crate training on two of them. If not, look in dogs for one about the dog using the kitchen as a toilet if you want to see my long post about crate training.
I only believe in crate training at night. When I trained my german sheppard, I took her outside about every 2 hours or until she went. Then praised her outloud and acted like she was the best puppy in the world. TONS OF PRAISES! And it worked. She had a few accidents. But that is expected. When you praise a dog, they know that is what you want them to do. I stayed away from treats because I did not want her to expect them. Make sure you continually take her/him out. Like clockwork. Then gradually (over a few weeks) work up to longer delays between going outside. Remember puppies can usually hold their potty up to their age (ie 3 months, 3 hours). If you are going to work or going to be gone over a long period of time, find a place to keep her/him where she can go. DON"T MAKE HER/HIM WAIT ALL DAY IN A CRATE!! THEY CAN GET BLADDER INFECTIONS TOO!! I kept mine in a clean garage. And NO she did NOT get confused. I only let her go in their when I was gone. But make sure you THOROUGHLY clean that area everyday. If he/she has an accident in the house, say NO, BAD GIRL/BOY and immediatley take them outside. Even if they don't go again. I repeatedly said "go potty outside" everytime I took her out. And "good girl" everytime she went. Now she goes on command. Also, I could never figure out WHEN she wanted to go outside, so I bought a a bird's toy bell, hung it from the backdoor, and took her nose and rung it everytime I said "Let's go potty outside". She got the hint. Now my dog rings the bell when she wants to go outside. SImple and I NEVER CRATE TRAINED DURING THE DAY..Oh and if you are going to CRATE TRAIN AT NIGHT.you still need to get up every few hours and take them out.remember puppies can't hold it that long.
I just got a puppy and have NOT crate trained him. He was house trained in 2 days without any incident. I am home a lot of the day, and I take him out about 10 minutes after he eats or drinks. I stay out with him until he goes, and then give him praise and a small training treat and bring him back in. He also goes first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. Training them right is easy, it just takes consistency.
never get mad and toss the dog outside. the dog will associate going outside w/ punishment. after he's pissed it's 2 late. don't rub his nose in it. when u catch him in the act, clap loud or somehow startle him enough 2 make him stop. them bring him outside and praise him 4 pissing outside
Crates are great.

A dog is a den animal by nature. My last two dogs, (Black Lab and mutt mix) after about a year would go into the crate on their own and sleep. If my small cousins came over, they would come over and say hello, then go into their Kennel. to be left alone.

After about a year, (when the chewing ends, I never shut the door, in fact on the mutt mix I took the door off, but kept the kennel for "their space".
i had both of my puppies train in less than a month. Do not free feed puppies because there bladders are very Small. Feed the puppy they go right out and make in the yard take them to the same place in yard and let them go. When the puppy goes praise them and give them a treat. They will know they did some thing good. Make sure you feed the puppy what they need so check with you vet how much you should be feeding the puppy daily.
Besides crate training I suggest just watching your dog. This is a very time consuming way to potty train your dog, but it usually works. When you wake up in the morning take your dog straight outside for it to go to the bathroom. After the dog finishes its buisness take it inside and feed it. when it is finished eating take it outside and let it go to the bathroom. once it has done so reward it. and then during the day take it about every couple hours outside. if it does have an accident let it know that it was wrong, but DO NOT hit it. to me that is abuse. in the evening feed your dog, and then once it is finished take it outside. and the before you go to bed take it outside. this might take a while, but it should work.

Good luck.
You'll have to spend a couple of days with the dog 24 hours a day. Watch where he goes and just before he's able to lift his leg, take him out. After he goes outside, positive reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment