Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Beagle Basset mixed puppies?

I have a miniture girl beagle and my boyfriend has a bassethound. I REALLY want to breed them, I would love for all of us to share the experience with everything that takes place; but, Will beagle/ basset puppies sell? My friend and I saw a man selling beagle/ basset pups one day in a parking lot and we went to check them out, he was selling them for $300. no papers. nothing. just that they had been "wormed". They were so beautiful!! and they went fast. So I was wondering.. would breeding them be a good idea?
Answers:
If you were going to mix the two breeds, it would have to be a female basset, and the male beagle..as the basset puppy's head is too large for the much smaller beagle's birth canal..She will have to have a c-section, at about $1200, if there are not other complications..many moms won't nurse the puppies after a c-section, especially if it is her first litter..so you would be stuck handrearing the puppies..that is a LOT of work..I used to have a business doing this, and had to set my alarm to get up every 2 hours, every night, and feed every 2 hours all day long..
Hi your first concern should be with the small female that you have %26 the size of the puppies she might have to deliver %26 not the money that they might bring in..
As a breeder I do not ever see the point of mixing two perfectly good breeds together by choice.
The mating in itsef can seriously damage your female as a basset is a large dog on small legs that is far to big in the lower department for your female %26 I have seen the damage a large dog can do to a smaller female %26 how ill it made her(not my own I have to say as I would never do such a thing)
You are the ones that will have to live with it if it all goes terribly wrong but unfortunately your female might be the one that pays the ultimate price with her life.Yes I am being very serious make no mistake about it,I have been raise breeding dogs %26 I'm 54 now.Regards Jake
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/petssecond.
if you do..just make sure you realize that, if you take care of them proparly and get all the shots and visits to the vet ect..you will not make much money. It is a lot of work and sometimes a pain in the butt!! if you just want the dog i reccommend buying one. if you want the expierence, take your time and learn everything you need to know about raising puppys before you "take the plunge".
GOOD LUCK
Do not breed puppies of any kind for any reason.There are millions of unwanted homeless dogs (cats too) dying in shelters or in the streets every year, and you want to breed more? You see some skank selling puppies in a parking lot and want to do it too? $300 for mixed breed puppies? There are no papers for dogs like this. The guy should have been arrested.

And the first answerer is right. A small beagle cannot have puppies by a bassett hound. It would mean hundreds of dollars at the vet for a C-section, if it didn't kill her. What can you be thinking?

Do your dog and the world a favor and get her spayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment