Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Best chew toys for dogs?

I have a very active border collie who LOVES to chew (last night she loved a nerf football to pieces). She doesn't seem to be interested in chewing on anything she's not supposed to but I'd like to keep providing her with things she can safely gnaw on. The little Purina rawhide bones last about 2 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions?
Answers:
WOW! Good luck! I have a border collie as well, and they LOVE to CHEW! I've spent countless amounts of money on dog toys. They can be very picky sometimes. and when you find them a toy that they do like they quickly learn how to destroy it. I've had great luck with a little orange dinosaur. I found it at Wal-Mart in the pet section. It's chewy, and it sqweeks. He loves that part! However, I've been buying these now for months and he's figured out that the toy is week on one of the legs and he goes right for the leg and chews the leg off. Then he's so upset because it doesn't sqweek anymore. lol. They make "Air Dog" tennis balls. They're extremely tough and durable. He loves those as well.
Wow a nerf ball, what about the big tires they have a dog shops now. I have seen them for all sizes of dogs from big to small. I think that would be good for her to chew on and would last longer that a nerf ball.
I have an Australian Cattle Dog and let me tell you these herding dogs are tough! My dog is the same he only chews on his toys, I found anything KONG are wonderful. I have found other toys that are made out of the same material that are just as good. Good luck!
soccer balls, tennis balls, basket balls (that will keep her busy) and nylabones. NOT carrot bones/cornbones/whatever, they break up into shards/splinters and kill your dogs digestive system.
get her a KONG
red kongs are bouncy and lots of fun and black kongs are tough
they make a variety of shapes
i have heard of staffies/rotties chewing through them but not breeds like collies and they are really good for the teeth.
Chews that are too hard can fracture the teeth ( chip them or break down into the roots) and also damage the gums.
also you can put treats/food inside the Kong for the dog to lick out.
I used this to stop my dog barking when I left him - to engrossed in the Kong - by the time he`d finished I was gone!
I have a pit bull and he destroyed every toy in minutes. His "grandpa" got him a KONG. and he's had it for almost a year now. he loves it and I love the fact that you can stuff treats inside which keeps him interested for sure.you can get it at any pet store they come in different sizes, not too cheap but I promise you it's totally worth it.
Kongs are great and we used a little peanut butter inside to keep our Border Collies attention on it. We also buy rawhides as well as real bones at the pet supply store. Our dogs go crazy for a real bone and they last quite some time. tho if you get one, keep in mind the first few hours of chew time can be messy and that you will probably want a place with a hard floor to make clean up easier.

Our border collie also loves her squeaky toys. She's not destructive with them, but sure loves to make them squeak when she's feeling playful.

A tug-o-war style doggie rope is another thing ours likes to chew on once in a while.
Nylabones are great for heavy chewers, as are the Kong's that have been sugested, but my dog's (100 pound german shepard siberian huskey cross) personal favorite chew toy seems to be his Cuz http://retailpets.com/jwpetbadcuzr.html. My dog is a heavy chewer, and he chews on this every night, and still it is intact. It also makes a great ball, and it bounces kinda crazy which keeps him on his toes. It squeeks, it bounces and its great for chewing, not to mention relitively cheap! I hope that was somewhat helpful, Have fun playing with your dog!!
You can use (kong's) the thick rubber toys where you put treats in the center that's hard to get at or a bubble machine with bacon flavoured bubbles could be entertaining as well.
Beef Marrow bones (uncooked form the supermarket). They wont splinter, the marrow has tons of protein, and they last for quite some time. Nylabones last for a while (much longer than and rawhide or other bone Ive come across) and are digestible. Stay away from rawhide (especially the way your dog eats them), and cooked bones. Canvas toys seem to last longer than most stuffed toys, but are far from indestructible. Kongs are okay, but some dogs just dont like them for the simple reason: they cant destroy them. You can pack the little kongs with kibble mixed with a little peanut butter and it takes them a while to dig it out, though I dont think you should be giving them peanut butter all the time.
take her to petco let her choose, that is what my jack russell does, believe me they'll do it too he choose a chew toy and a reg, toy, but the kongs are really good, you can put treats in them too. don't get her rubber things like nerf balls they can hurt her tummy, or hard rubber bones, they break teeth, we had to take or manchester to the vet and get a tooth remove because of that,, $500.00 no joke.
KONGS are amazing, like others have said. Additionally, the CUZ - its not as well known, but you can get a "good" one, or a "bad" one (devil ears), or a "dino" one (with a dinosaur tail. my dogs LOVE them- they kill the squeaker in it pretty fast though.
I fill my Kong up with peanut butter, kibble, cheese, plain yogurt, and freeze it, it takes even longer for the dog to clear it out!

my dogs love soccer balls outside! (yes they pop them after a while but still play with it after) - you can get marrow and soup bones from the butcher at your local grocery store.

a little warning on rawhides- dogs cannot digest them, and they are not very safe for them. if you search on the internet you can find a lot out about rawhides. also, they get really sticky, and if you dont watch your dog they can choke!

No comments:

Post a Comment