Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bad Owner? Why Does Dog Do This??

Everytime I might go to the kitchen and get something to eat, my dog will come right beside me and stare at me. If I sit down at the table with my food, he will stand right by my chair and stare at me, and start whining. He gets plenty to eat, and we feed him three times everyday. When he does this, I feel like a bad pet owner.like he's starving or something. He is not a huge dog, he's a poodle. Do most dogs do this? I don't have much experience with them.
Answers:
like the others said, he just wants to get some of that yummy people food. Feeding him, however, can be harmful and actually teach him to come back for more. Check out the sites below to learn how to control and stop begging at dinner time.
My dog does the same thing. I rescued him and he was that way. I can tell him to go lay down and he will. But, I usually just let him sit next to me cause I give him scraps. He is so spoiled. I would try putting you dog in another room and make him sit there while you are eating, if he does good doing that then give him a treat.
Yes, many dogs do this. Your food is likely more tempting than dry kibble. Has nothing to do with how much they are fed. I eat three healthy meals a day, but if my roommate starts walking around eating an ice cream cone, you better believe I'm going to be looking at that ice cream and wishing I could have some.

If it bothers you, teach him to lie down several feet away from you and stay there. We have taught our dogs to do this. Once even needed to be taught to turn his head away, because sometimes he stares and leaves a puddle of drool on the floor. Really gross!
I think it is normal. Dogs generally don't have any sense of being full. They will eat until they get sick, especially if they get to eat the good stuff you and I eat.
Yes a lot of dogs do this. How long have you had this dog? was he owned by anyone else? Does anyone live with you and your dog? My boyfriend's dog is 15 years old and his whole life the family gave him table scraps, pizza crusts are his favorite, and if anything good gets dropped on the floor we call the dog over. It gets annoying when guests are over and giving them the puppy eyed look, but he's too old ( I think) to train him differently. Have you or anyone else done this to your dog? I would refrain from giving him anything if you haven't yet, he may learn not to bother you at all, but don't make it worse.
All dogs do this - it doesn't matter what dog, what breed, what age. They'll only stop if you train them to stop. The easiest way to train them to stop is just to NEVER give them any "people food".

Dogs see it as a real treat to get food that people eat, so naturally they're going to beg for it. To them its the same as a kid having some candy.
Have you ever given your poodle a bite of food while you were eating? They never forget!!
actually the reason is your dog is curious he dont get the variety we do
They say dogs are daft - they are daft the RIGHT way! Theyre making you feel guilty so you will give them a bit of what you're eating. I know because my two do it, except they demand a bit and rush you when you dont expect it. Don't overfeed him, if it bothers you so much put him out of the room. Don't feel sorry for him or don't look at him. I dont have a choice lol its a great dane I have and she is a cheeky greedy moo!

xCx
I have 14 dogs in my house, and about 20 more in my shelter and the majority of my dogs do the exact same thing. Several of my cats do it as well.
I've always attributed it to the fact that most of the dogs I take in have been starved at some point in there lives. Although, I have a few that haven't been but still do this. I think they are just spoiled.

Your not a bad owner at all! I know it's hard to look at those big ol eyes and not give in. The best thing I've found to do is to just ignore them. Most of my dogs eventually get the hint and they quit begging.

Good luck to you!
HE'S BEGGING! all dogs do that unless you train them not too. dogs will eat till they explode, they don't know they're full!
All of my dogs have done this. I think they just see food and want some. If you have ever given them any human food that could be another reason. Don't worry about it, you are not a bad parent.
My dogs nickname is Crumb Cruiser-he does it too, he gets plenty to eat twice daily. I think it is just a dog thing along with being a habit.lol

No comments:

Post a Comment